Before going to the details of strategies, please read this:
Each person has unique strengths, and each person has a different learning style and faces different challenges. When trying different strategies it is important to note that some strategies may work and others may not- simply based on the uniqueness of the individual one approach may work in some instances and will not in others… its best to try different strategies until you find one that works- TRY DIFFERENT NOT HARDER!
We believe that without knowing your unique situation or having the ability to know the person who is affected by FASD- it is extremely difficult to provide you with strategies that will be suitable for you in your situation. And while we provide some strategies that you may try- keep in mind that there are many ways to achieve the outcome and this depends on your knowledge of yourself or the person you are caring for.
Furthermore, we believe that if you are guided by some essential beliefs about FASD and people affected by FASD then the strategies will come by using these beliefs to guide your actions/interactions and the strategies you will attempt.
The Essential beliefs about FASD and people affected by FASD:
- FASD is a permanent disability
- Behavior is a symptom of a disability
- Don’t make assumptions about behavior ( e.g. uncooperative, defiant, lazy, dishonest)
- Logical and natural consequences don’t work in the same way
- Chronological age does not reflect developmental level
- When we fail to accommodate we create disability
- Expect challenges and know they are not insurmountable
- People with FASD have strengths and are capable
- Family needs support
- Women at risk of having a child with FASD also need our support
- How we talk about FASD matters
- There is hope!
- Strategies you can try in school:Strategies for educators
- Strategies you can try at home:Strategies for caregivers
- Strategies you can try with your employees:Strategies for employers
If you believe that you, your child or someone you care for is in need of additional services and/or supports then please call NEAFAN to discuss.
Trying Different is easier than trying harder!